Monday, September 20, 2010

Shopping trip, 9/20



I'd like to start sharing my shopping trips a little more routinely, so that you can actually see what I buy, how much I spend, and then it will tie in with my menu plans too. Plus, I love to look at other people's shopping trips, I don't know why, but it appeals to me somehow. I also used to love the feature in the Rachel Ray mag that detailed everything someone ate during a random day. Maybe I'm just obsessed with food? Anyway, I'll make a real effort to post these while the sales are still going on, we'll see how well that goes!

So this was my Haggar's trip today, me and Junior walked there, so I totally think we get bonus points for being earth conscious! I spent $14.18, and this is a pretty typical trip for me, I buy a lot of my produce there. I mentioned pretty much all of the prices on these in my Haggar's post here, and the prices are good through 9/21.

I think they have fair prices, and I've never been disappointed in the quality. I have a theory on the fruit by the way; I think of fruit as short term vs. long term. For example, the peaches, bananas, and pears are short term, and when they're ripe, you don't have time to ponder whether you should eat them or not, so I don't buy them in large quantity. The oranges however, will be fine in the fridge for a few weeks, so I can eat them now, while I wait for the short term stuff to ripen, and then go back to them after the short term stuff is gone. I know that buying too much is a problem for some of you, so try to think about it this way and see if that helps. My other long term fruit favorite is apples, but I've yet to see any great deals on them. The veggies I don't worry about as much, since I work them into my meal plans I know they'll get used within just a few days. The little jar is ginger, I've been wanting to make gingerbread, which is a seasonal craving that I have occasionally; not often enough to buy a quantity of ginger, which would be cheaper by the ounce, but wouldn't get used very quickly.

I'm planning on hitting Safeway tomorrow, and also Walgreens for some milk, so I'll post that promptly!

No comments:

Post a Comment