Thursday, May 13, 2010

Free fun for little kiddos!

My son is 13 months old, and when I decided I wanted to stay home with him, I knew I was going to need a weekly routine, including outings out of the house. Happily, we found a great program at the Rapid City pulic library that has become our Thursday outing! Every Thursday at 9:30am and again at 10:00am, you can attend Baby Bookworms, which is geared towards the little kids. If your kids are a bit bigger but still not in school, they have another session on Tuesdays, I believe the times are the same, geared for the older kiddos. If you work during the day, there is a monthly story time in the evening, and I know they have pizza at that one so you don't have to scramble to get supper.

Anyway, they recently started a punch card program when you attend any of these story times. Once you get 10 punches, you get to pick a free book! My guy doesn't get the concept of this yet, but I see the bigger kids get very excited to get "their library card punched". Today we got our 10th punch, so we got to pick out a Sandra Boynton book, which are super popular around here! What a fun program, and a great incentive to read with your kids, we will definitely be attending for a long time to come! For more details, check out the RCPL web site.

I did make a couple of stops after story time;

At Walgreens I picked up the EOS shaving lotion that has a RR this week. I had an old RR about to expire, so I was happy to trade it in, and I am totally stocked up on shaving cream for a while, thanks to the recent Skintimate RR that Wags had. I used the Wags brand candy at .39 as my filler, and I would definitely recommend that you avoid the caramel creams, unless you have really good dental coverage; they were harder than hard!

At Target, I grabbed some C&H sugar, on sale for 2.39/5lb, and used a coupon from Red Plum, still available at http://www.redplum.com/ so that brought it under my buy price of .40/lb. I also got some Pure & Natural hand soap, pricey at 1.49 after a $2 coupon, but it will look nice in a gift basket. I was really pleased to get a bottle of Coppertone sun block, on sale for $6, and I used a $2 coupon from the May Safeway coupon book, which you should be able to find in one of the Health and Beauty aisles at Safeway. Finally, Oscar Mayer turkey bacon is on sale for $1.99/lb, which isn't bad to start with, and then I used a $1.50 coupon from First Taste, so that was a nice deal.

As I write this, it occurs to me that I am assuming you know some things about couponing, and that may not be the case. I will be posting more coupon 101 tips as we go, and in the meantime, there are lots of bloggers who have been doing this for a long time, and are better teachers than me anyway! Find one of them (for now)!

No comments:

Post a Comment