Monday, June 14, 2010

Strange but true

I often wonder why I have a microwave. I don't think I'm a microwave snob, I just have no desire to use it. Here are the purposes it does serve;

1. Rarely used to boil water.
2. Occasionally used to melt butter.
3. Constantly used to hog counter space in my small kitchen.

But this week, it's seeing some action due to my lack of oven. And my sister, being the kind of girl that she is, sent me a recipe to make bread (yes, really) in the microwave. Let me explain that a bit; my sister is ridiculously creative, experimental, always trying new things or dreaming up new things. I don't know where she gets it, but she has a knack. So, I thought I'd give her crazy microwave bread recipe a try.

English Muffin Microwave Bread

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl;
1 TBSP yeast
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar

Add wet ingredients;
1 cup warm milk (I warmed it in the MICROWAVE, hah, for 45 seconds)
1/4 cup hot water

Mix well, resist the urge to knead it. Dump it into a loaf pan that you've buttered and floured. Attempt to spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with cornmeal (I'm sure you could omit this step if you want). Microwave for 6 1/2 minutes, let cool for 5 minutes before handling.

Slice, and toast, serve with whatever english muffin fixings you like, we kept it simple with butter, peanut butter would be yummy too. I would recommend that you dump it out on the counter after you've cooled it, I found the bottom of the loaf to be very moist. Be prepared for the bread to be very blond, it's not going to change color at all in the microwave so I had trouble believing it was cooked.

Thanks sis!

Printer Friendly Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment